Friday, March 1, 2013

2

This week I started studying shaping nails, basic nail care and health tips, and the right tools.

Here is some photographic evidence of my first official attempt at shaping. I tried to learn the techniques from these websites:
http://www.nailsmag.com/article/474/getting-nails-into-shape
http://www.sallyhansen.co.uk/nail-shapes
My cuticles really bad.
 Here is the SQUOVAL- hybrid of a square and an oval- on my left thumb.  I asked some of women I know who know nails, and the feedback I got for this was that it was too much oval and not enough square, but that it was good.
 Here is the almond/oval. This is one of the more classic shapes for long nails.  This one was said to be good, but my mom thinks that is too pointy.  I personally think it looks good in the picture, but afterward I thought I had to keep filing and now it looks a little lopsided.

Here is the square on my pinky.  This one was difficult because its hard to get the sides to be perfectly straight and the top to be flat, but blended into the sides.  I've heard this one is too round, which I agree with.   I guess that makes this one like a squoval too then?
Here are two rounded ones- on my pointer and  middle finger.  The pointer finger is supposed to be a short round, and I think that one turned out really well.  It actually looks beautiful so.  The middle finger is supposed to be taller rounded, or "rounded with straight sides".  I tried to straighten the sides, but they just became really rounded but it looks pretty good for rounded.
Finally, we have the pointed nail on the right thumb.  The nail was a little short to create the full pointed effect, but I think i pulled it off okay. There is definitely a point.

So far I have started five of the main shaping techniques.  Its pretty hard right now and they are not turning out oh so well.  I have only been practicing on my own hands so far, so I will need to start working on other people's hands...Today I practiced on two other people's hands.
I filed and buffed this girl's hand.  Her fingernails were already very short and she had a curved nail bed, so i made them rounded at the to.




 I also filed and buffed this girls hand, and her nails were longer but they were really weak I think, and they  kind of broke when I filed them.

Both times I filed someone else's nails, it was pretty hard and I didn't really do very well.  I managed to get them to look nice, but good shaping was more accidental and wasn't really accomplished with a specific technique.  Also, the nails I did weren't really the longest nails, so I couldn't really experiment with shapes like almond or the point, I sort of had to just smooth or even out the natural shape of the nail.
However, I think I am starting to get used to shaping, and I think that by next week I am going to start painting.
This weekend, I plan to go to a beauty supplies store and get some quality but not too expensive supplies, this is the list I made-

  • Fine grit nail file- glass or embry board
  • A couple of high quality polishes in a variety of colors, along with a few pens for future designs...The brand that I have either heard are good or I found to be good on the internet are: Wet&Wild, Maybelline, Revlon, CoverGirl, Lippman, Essie, Rimmel, China Glaze, and OPI. 
  • Top/Base coats
  • More intense nail buffer
  • Cuticle Pusher and cuticle oil/treatment
  • Acetate based nail polish remover
Hopefully this all will not be too expensive but it doesn't really matter because I will get use out of them for beyond this project.
When I start to paint, I think I am going to start with painting one color, and focus on neatness and evenness of the application.  Even though I have been painting my nails since I was young, I honestly have NEVER been good at it.  I always mess it up really bad.  I also have to work on my skills of painting other people's hands.  I am also going to continue practicing shaping.  

Also, I commented on Sun Min Kim, Julia Klugherz, and Jenna Rollins's blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I think that your project is definitely unique because I never would have thought about trying to make different nail shapes. I can only imagine how hard it is because it always takes forever for the workers when I go to a salon. I just wonder how you are going to have a finished project. Will you work on someone's nails in class as an example or just show your own nails?

    ReplyDelete